Saturday, June 14, 2008

Halloween Mousse

Tonight I experimented in the kitchen. I'd seen a recipe for a chocolate mousse that had cayenne pepper in it and wanted to give it a whirl. I didn't have everything I needed to make the specific recipe I'd seen, so I tweaked a regular chocolate mousse one I already had. Then I added a few extras that weren't in either recipe. I think it turned out pretty good, as the dinner guests seemed to be happy.

Bean's Dark Chocolate Mayan Mousse

One 3 ounce bar of Vosges Oaxaca Haut Chocolat
5 ounces of dark chocolate (at least 60% cocoa)
One egg
One teaspoon vanilla extract
One cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground clove

In a blender mix chocolate, egg, vanilla extract and all spices for 30 seconds. Heat the cream. Begin blending again, pouring in heated cream as it mixes (you should be able to remove the center part of the lid). Blend until creamy. Refrigerate till set.

I beat some of the extra cream for topping. I did not sweeten it so it would balance out the richness of the mousse.


If you don't have the Vosges chocolate then just use more of the dark chocolate in its place, though you might want to up the cayenne pepper just a hair to balance it out.


*

2 comments:

crudedoodle.com said...

i wish i wasn't so lazy in the kitchen.

Anonymous said...

if i didn't have diabetes before this recipe, i certainly would afterwards. sounds great though.
bryan